Monday, March 28, 2011

Kids Are Getting Dumber From Their Phones.





The further we move into the future with technology, the more younger people are that know how to use them and have them on a daily basis, especially with cell phones. Parents are letting their kids have cell phones at younger and younger ages as time passes, and that is probably not a good idea. There has been a study by The Boston Globe that cell phones are effecting teenagers learning habits. They said that they are so attatched to their cell phones that they actually sleep with them under their pillows. Apparently missing an "important text message" about their friends is something that kids care more about than anything else. These "important" text messages are usually messages from their friends that are gossip of other friends. They stay up late at night in bed waiting and replying to text messages from their friends. Most of the kids that were questioned stated that they want to reply to the text message right away because their friends usually get mad if they don't get a response right away and they don't want to face that and make their friends angry. That is just a stupid thing to be worrying about in my opinion. Kids around that age just worry too much about what's happening with their friends than what is happening in their own life. When kids are up late texting, it distracts them and prevents them from getting the right stage of sleep that helps you process a days learning experience. I probably am missing a lot from the story, but I'm pretty sure you all get it.

Ashley Olafsson, 16, doesn’t want to miss emergency texts, even late-arriving ones.

I don't think that parents should be giving phones to their kids that early in age. They should be worrying about school and going outside to play and what not. I know that the study wasn't on kids that early in age, but I've seen kids with phones that seemed to young to have them and that kind of irritated me. The study was actually done on teenages ages 15 and up. I don't think they need to worry THAT MUCH about their friends to be trading sleep over that. I myself would pick sleep over messing around with my phone ANY day. Do any of you sleep with your phone under your pillows waiting for text messages? Because I certainly don't!


If you want to go and read the whole aricle of what this is all about by clicking HERE.

3 comments:

  1. i dont stay up waiting for text messages , but i do sleep with it under my pillow !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Kids under the age of 13 does not need cellphones. If you are so worried about your kid then just don't let them go out or keep an eye on them. I remember when i was in 6th grade cellphones wasn't even cool yet it was still pokemon and tv shows. I think the world has upgraded big time and needs to stop. There's so many new technology coming out that some people can't even keep up with anymore. There are cellphones coming out like every month or year. I never got my own phone until i was in 8th grade and it was only for a month other than that i just got my phone about a month ago and its used. Kids these days don't learn nothing off of cellphones and they don't even need it. But if parents want to keep paying for their kids cell bills then go ahead, lets see how that'll affect your childs life in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the title of your blog to be very true. Lol

    ReplyDelete